Sunday, November 21, 2010

HOME AND RESTING

Gramps (Dad) came home Thursday afternoon. He was pretty weak, but tolerated the ride okay. When we arrived, I thought for sure he would go straight to his favorite chair, but he made a beeline to the love seat in the family room. He and Mom sat side by side for awhile- for the first time in two weeks, and Dad requested a milkshake! Thrilled that he actually craved food, I went to Sonic and bought both a chocolate and vanilla, hoping one would suit his taste. He tried the vanilla, but it was just too sweet. He drank some lemonade, and sat up for quite a while.

When Matt and I helped him to his bed, he had a hard time maintaining balance and finding the strength to walk. He was concerned about his lack of strength saying that he has never felt that way. Jake stayed with him through the night. We are grateful he is an RN and for all he has done to help in Dad's care. Friday Aubrey came to watch over Mom and Dad and before Jake left Dad's temperature spiked and he had an episode with chills that left him feeling extremely tired. He had a hard time communicating but when I went to see him during my lunch break and told him I loved him, he responded with a whisper voice and a knowing nod. He expressed that he was afraid to be alone and I assured him someone would always be with him.

I felt I should call my Mark, Dennis and Tim who were planning to come up later in the week and tell them they may want to come sooner because Dad seemed to weaken by the hour, and I wasn't sure if they would be able to visit much later in the week. Mark and Wendy caught a flight that afternoon and arrived toward evening. Dad had been pretty unresponsive through the day, but went they arrived, he sat up, requested ice cream, drank some water and actually visited a while. We were heartened

I slept over Friday night, checking him often and giving him pain meds when needed. He is receiving little medication for pain and for the most part rests comfortably. Mark and Jake bathed him Saturday afternoon and he said that felt good, but left him exhausted. As other children and grandchildren have arrived, he has greeted them and expressed his love. Shelly, Mark and Dennis are here and Tim is on his way (He is at a standstill in Beaver, the snow is causing delays.) My children, who live locally have each had a moment with Gramps. Shelly's kids are here and Dennis' son, Denny is en route. Mark Jr. said his goodbyes a few days ago as did Steve and family last week.

Mother is working through the gamut of emotions that accompanies losing one's life long companion. I see her going through the phases I've read about and pray we will be able to help her through this all. We are grateful for each other, for family and for our faith. We thank Mom and Dad for their lives of faith and love and for the example of strength they have always been to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment